My Most Influential
Communication Technologies:
1.) Social Media (e.g. Facebook) 2.) Computers
3.) Television
One of the most pivotal pieces of
communication technology in my life is social media. I started with Myspace,
but it became unpopular and then I moved on to Facebook. I also started using
Reddit this year. I find social media
has revolutionized the way that I learn new information about the world. When I
look at my Facebook newsfeed, I always see an active stream of information
about peoples’ commentary on their own personal lives and their thoughts about
politics and culture. I think that is wonderful that I have access to so much
information; although, I find that Facebook requires me to be a much more
active individual because I need to evaluate the truth-values of what I read.
Even though Facebook is a great place to get information, I have no guarantee
that what I see on Facebook will automatically be true. Facebook is
representative of a democratic public sphere; thus, all of the individuals on
the site represent a broad spectrum of ideologies, and they all will
participate in deliberation with me. I have entered into many debates about
politics and culture through statuses with many people; as a result, I learned
how to construct arguments better since I interact with opposing viewpoints much
more frequently. Television has also given me a great way to be culturally
literate and learn new information from the media; however, I feel that, as
with social media, we need to be critical consumers because it is a one-way
form of communication. Thus, I could run the risk of being brainwashed by
harmful ideologies if I am not critically aware of what I watch.
Just like many of the young people in
the video, I find that technology is ingrained into my everyday life. One of
the young students mentioned that technological advances have shaped writing
and reading. From my own experiences, I can definitely assert that it is true. I
bring my laptop to school in order to take notes during a lecture because I
find that I can type much faster than I can write through pen and pencil. In
addition, I have used my laptop to compose essays for school and write lyrics. I
feel my computer changed my processes for completing the many tasks I do. I
seem to share a similar paradigm with the young people because I believe that technology
is a convenient necessity. However, I feel that using laptops at school may be
a distraction because sometimes I drift onto Facebook or other sites instead of
paying attention during class. If my computer crashes, I can potentially lose
my files forever.
In addition, I use my technology in
order to customize my experience like the young people in the video. For
instance, when I use Reddit, I subscribe to numerous subreddits in order to
customize the information that I want to receive on the website. The
interesting concept about this is that I can customize my Reddit experience to
not only my personal interests, but also my political and social ideologies. Just
like those young people, I manipulate the social media and internet so it can become
an extension of myself. Coincidentally, it happens to make me a better learner in
life.
I feel that one of the primary
differences between my usages of technology compared to the young people is
that I try to limit it as my primary means of communication. One of the young
people in the video said that he texts way more than he actually talks to
people. This implies that he prefers that as his primary means of communication.
One of the caveats of social media and any kind of communication through
computers is that it can negatively affect our ability to communicate in person.
I think that another main difference between the young people and me is that I
use communication technology as a means of collaboration as well. These young
people produce websites and music; however, this seems to be an individual pursuit.
For instance, I manage a band and I use Google Docs Spreadsheets in order to
keep track of ticket sales and finances. By having the spreadsheet online, I can
collaborate with the band members on pertinent details asynchronously and
synchronously. Unlike those young people, I feel technology can also be a tool
that makes collaboration much better, which also is in the spirit of democratic
practices.
Nick! I really like your post! I never thought of Facebook as a type of democratic medium but after reading your opinions on it, my mind has changed completely. It is truly a powerful tool to express opinions and form arguments, which is a totally positive thing. However, couldn't this also be a negative thing? For example, in terms of debating and rhetoric, doesn't Facebook limit our abilities to formulate accurate arguments? It is somewhat ambiguous in it's expectations of validity and you can sort of get away with saying anything you want. We both know this is not how debate works in an academic or political way. I wonder if Facebook enables us to formulate arguments and be opinionated without having to check our own facts in our general thinking. Like you said, there is a good chance of being "brainwashed," and with so many opinions and statements out there, isn't that something to be worried about? Especially with adolescents all over social media, don't they run the risk of believing false information and opinion as fact? I mean, the media does this too, but it isn't like reading a book where we can assume the research has been done and most statements have a sort of ethos. All forms of information are dangerous in this way, I suppose, but there's just something about Facebook that makes information so easily manipulated and misunderstood.
ReplyDeleteIn your last paragraph, you say something very powerful. Technology, I believe, is limiting our abilities to communicate in person dramatically. Texting and instant messaging makes communication so brief and effortless. Is this how we want to interact with the people in our lives? Technology is indeed a beautiful thing that has connected our world and made it so much smaller but in turn, are we sacrificing human interaction for digitalcommunication? Think about it. We raise children in our society based on human interaction. We typically develop relationships in the same way. With online dating and baby monitors with cameras, are we moving towards a digital form of communication even with building our families? What next, robot babysitters? I think we as a collective population need to limit ourselves in technological communications because we are human beings with a magnificent capacity to communicate and interact naturally, so why diminish these skills through over reliance on technology? I was so excited that you brought up this point because it is one of my main struggles with our culture.
Great post!