Friday, November 15, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

The canvas that I remixed belonged to a music education major, and I thought that the unit her canvas introduces could directly link to the English discipline easily. Her unit discusses the links between music lyrics and other art forms like literature and film. I searched for a lesson plan that I believed would complement her unit well. I thought that the lesson I found was great because it has students create soundtracks consisting of existing songs that relate to a literary work. Song lyrics are poetry, and students can analyze literary devices and themes. These skills are important for students because they are in the Common Core Language Arts Standards.

I decided to keep her canvas’s original theme of exploring communication barriers because I felt students would benefit from analyzing a very common, strong theme existing in so many literary works. However, I felt that developing a soundtrack to a short poem by Robert Frost called “The Mending Wall” might have been too narrow of a task. Thus, I decided to find a longer piece of literature that related to the theme of communication barriers and their detrimental consequences. I picked Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare because it is a text widely read by students across the nation and it embodies the themes the original canvas discussed. I felt that students would be able to find examples of that theme in the play, and then be able to search for songs that relate to it for the soundtrack.

URL to Remixed Canvas: http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2592&mode=view

Lesson Plan I Used: http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/musical-note-exploring-reading-861.html?tab=2#tabs

No comments:

Post a Comment