Saturday, December 14, 2013

Technology Integration Plan

At my Inclusion class’s conclusion, Dr. Mignogna assigned a final project that involved adapting a lesson plan to a student with special needs. I had to adapt a lesson plan on point of view in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee to a student with Asperger’s Syndrome. I already integrated some technology when I modified the lesson plan. In this lesson plan, I made further modifications so I can fulfill the requirements of this final project.

In order to get my students to understand Point of View, I would show a YouTube video that will prepare my class for a group role-playing activity.  The video is informative and makes the content accessible for the students. During the group role-playing activity, students will simulate the “Bee Sting” story by coming up with a story told through multiple perspectives. Students will utilize Google Glass headsets to film the story through multiple perspectives. This would be interesting since Google Glass aligns the viewer of the video with that user’s perspective. The students would upload the videos to YouTube and would put a class hash tag on Twitter.  This relates to the NETS-S and Common Core Standards because students work together to develop a creative product while using technology.
 
During my lesson’s next phase, I will hand out a graphic organizer explaining the different types of points of view. I will give a lecture to the students to make sure they understand the content because it is important. Then, I would read a couple of excerpts from different novels. Afterward, I would have a PowerPoint presentation with a question asking which Point of View the passage utilizes. Students would use their clickers. My program would show a bar graph that I could use to determine how the class answered. I can look at each individual student’s answers later to see which students may have issues with the concepts. I then facilitate a discussion about how point of view functions in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird. When that is complete, I would show a few YouTube clips from film adaptations and try to have students discuss the differences of point of view between film and the book. This aligns with the Common Core Standard about using two different artistic mediums, but one of the mediums happens to be through technology. Also, the students use critical thinking to make informed decisions, so students cannot be passive consumers of the videos, but active participants making meaning.

The culminating assessment involves comparing and contrasting the point of view between the book and a film adaptation. Students will publish their final product to a BlogSpot, but I will have them work in Google Drive first. I will put students into peer-editing groups and they will share their Google Document with their team. On other students’ documents, students will insert comments saying what they think about the composition. I will also provide feedback through conferencing with students. I can also look at the Google Document and see how students revised; thus, I can evaluate their writing process as well. This is very important when we consider literacy development because sometimes it is not just about the product, but the process. The assessment will hinge upon the NETS-S standard that involves using technology effectively and productively. Students will have to gather the proper information and use Google Drive’s features to aid their learning.

For the rest of the class sessions, I devoted the time to a writer’s workshop. The students will use computers to conduct research and write their compositions. In addition, students will have time to receive feedback from their peers and the teacher. The comments will all be on Google Drive. When the work is completed, then the students post their works on BlogSpot. Students can then go to comment on other students’ blog posts, which I feel will help foster a sense of community the classroom. The alignment with the Common Core Standards is there because during the writing process, I try to have varied activities, but I try to foster critical thinking skills and collaboration through the technological mediums. The blogs and the commenting manage to teach students the importance of being a responsible cyber citizen and show how technology can allow for an exchange of diverse ideas. I tried to do this all in a way where students learn about point of view, but technology helps make the learning dynamic enough where critical thinking and collaboration can become pivotal parts of the process.

URL to Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amgpgj9Fx1m7dDJhTzZxam5WaHN1YVctWC1xNnc5aFE#gid=0

3 comments:

  1. It is very clear just from reading through the write-up that a lot of time and thought was put into this assignment, and it shows in the project itself. The widespread use of technology here is very well thought out (while it would be interesting to see if schools would choose to invest their funding in technology like Google Glass). A lesson on "To Kill a Mockingbird" is one that is present in many school districts across the country, as it considered to be a modern classic, and to see a plan on this with the spin that you have on it was very interesting. Through ideas like the use of of Blogspot, a sense of class collaboration is felt. While some moderations will likely have to be made, depending on whatever changes in technology occur between now and when we are all graduated and working, this could be an excellent plan to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, this is an ambitious unit plan. Overall, your matrix is logically aligned across columns and your narrative clearly and intentionally presents your pedagogical strategies (which is key). I can tell the technology is used in transformative ways, as the students would not get the same experience without the use of these tools.

    I also commend you for how you comment on your peers' work. Consistently throughout the semester, you've added insightful and purposeful commentary on other blogspots and I wanted to let you know that I have noticed and have appreciated your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its your boyzz Joseph and Marawan here and miss you so much some kid killed himself because you left the school :( Jennifer misses you so

    ReplyDelete