One of the most prevalent technologies that English teachers utilize in the classroom is film. It is very easy to use the medium of film in the English classroom. You just plug in a VHS or DVD player and put in a movie. Most of the famous novels that we read in the English classroom have a film adaptation. However, most teachers tend to put in the movie after they read the novel, and then do not have their students do anything.
One of the problems with that approach to showing film is that it puts students in the passive consumer position. When teachers thrust their students into that position, it is easy to see why students may not learn anything. In fact, many movie adaptations of novels can wind up being significantly different. Without a clear pedagogical goal, the students will wind up learning nothing. This kind of pedagogy shows how technology can be useless if the teacher does not come up with a structured activity. Technology hinges upon the teacher’s knowledge of how technology can facilitate a learning experience.
In order for movies to become effective in the classroom, we need to be students in a more active role. In addition, we need to make sure that we come up with activities that align with the Common Core Standards. This standard in the English/Language Arts standards, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.9-10.7, indicates the following: “Analyze the representation of a subject or a key scene in two different artistic mediums, including what is emphasized or absent in each treatment.” The Common Core Standards seem to acknowledge that comparing literature’s treatment in two different artistic mediums is a valid educational activity. You can definitely meet this standard through technology, like the film.
For instance, if I had assigned a unit based around the seminal novel One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey, I could have them watch the film after they read the book. The film adaptation is a very famous and well-respected movie in its own right, but it is very different from the novel. The novel is a first-person narrative that has Chief Bromden, a mostly silent Native American who has some paranoia problems, observe the events that unfold in the novel. On the other hand, the director of the movie significantly diminishes Chief Bromden’s role in the movie. Instead, the movie focuses on McMurphy more. As a pedagogical activity, I could have students compare and contrast how the point of view differences between the novel and the movie can affect the effectiveness of the novel’s overall message.
In addition to the other activities I proposed, there a myriad of ways to share the composition the students produce. They can put it on a blog or post it to movie review sites. Students can also comment on other students’ work by using the internet as well. Film can be an effective tool in the classroom, but only if the teacher is very thoughtful about the pedagogy behind it. Students must interpret films just like literary texts, which makes films meaningful to the students and makes them actually learn something. If a teacher just puts a video in and does nothing, the students will not wind up learning anything most of the time because they often do not correlate to the novel well. This is not the only pedagogical revolving around the film. I wrote this blog post because I felt that the usage of the film clearly demonstrates how the effectiveness of technology in facilitating student learning truly depends on the teacher.
Nick, I very much liked your post because it demonstrates a thoughtful analysis of the way that film should be used in the classroom. Like you said, a teacher cannot simply put on a film and expect the students to pay attention just because it is on or even expect the students to get the film. Presenting films in this way, I believe, also ensure that a lot of people will not read the book since they will just wait to watch the film. As you mention towards the end of your post, teachers should approach film similarly to the way they approach literature. Students should be asked to analyze the different components of the film, and how they work together to communicate a story---just like a book would. A film could also be used to draw a contrast between the way a story is told through a visual narrative and the way it is told through text and written narrative. Students could analyze what kind of devices or techniques filmmakers use to tell a story as opposed to the techniques an author would use. When it comes to something like Shakespeare, film works really well, as students are able to see the plays come to life. But again, there should always be some analysis to follow up the film.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in high school, I had a unit of English regarding novels in film. We would watch the movie first and then read the book (for three books). Throughout the rest of the unit, while we were reading the book, we would point out the differences and why the director may have chosen to make those differences. This was by far my favorite English class. By watching the film first, I was more engaged while reading the book because I wasn't bogged down in some aspects that would normally turn me off. I can see many flaws with this type of unit design, but I think for one or two books (especially more difficult ones) it could help students who are usually not engaged.
ReplyDeleteNick I like this post a lot. I feel like we have written a lot of similar topics and that encourages me because I hope in my professional career I can find English teachers like you who I can work across content areas with. Movies certainly have benefit and like you pointed out with the right assignment, they can truly better the experience. Unfortunately, many teachers who show videos in class do so for all the wrong reasons. But movies can make students much more interested and engaged in the course work.
ReplyDeleteGreat job as always.
While you certainly make a convincing
ReplyDeleteargument, I can't help but think that movies simply take too much
time in a school day to work in a classroom environment. While some
public schools utilize block scheduling, many have 40 minute periods
that would make watching a full-length movie frustrating and
distracting. You wouldn't assign a student to read a novel in one
class, so why not use watching a movie as part of a homework
assignment? Also, some educational films are well-designed to engage
students without going too far beyond an hour.